Main Line: 602-753-4500
2201 E. Camelback Road Suite 360
Phoenix, AZ 85016
Sarah joined BurnsBarton PLC in 2019 after clerking for Judge Patricia K. Norris at the Arizona Court of Appeals and practicing at Burch & Cracchiolo, P.A.. Sarah’s experience includes a wide variety of litigation but focuses on labor and employment. She represents employers in many industries and helps them achieve favorable results in litigation as well as providing the tools and education necessary to develop effective measures to avoid litigation.
Sarah’s experiences include:
• Counseling employers regarding employment and management issues including severance agreements, handbooks, policies and procedures, training, and disciplinary matters.
• Conducting both internal and external investigations for employers to identify and defuse potential liability.
• Representing employers before administrative agencies, including the EEOC, ACRD, and NLRB.
• Representing employers in Federal District Court, as well as Arizona state and appellate courts regarding a wide variety of employment matters, including termination, discrimination, harassment, FMLA, breach of employment contracts, employment related torts, and wage and hour disputes.
• Completed six trials – four jury trials and two bench trials.
• Drafting and enforcing restrictive covenants, including non-competition, non-solicitation, and confidentiality agreements.
• Drafting comprehensive employment agreements, policies, and handbooks.
• Conducting I-9 audits.
Education and Honors
• Arizona State University Sandra Day O’Connor College of Law (J.D., Cum Laude, 2012)
• Arizona State University, W.P. Carey School of Business and Barrett Honors College (B.S. Summa Cum Laude, Finance, Spanish Minor, 2009)
• Willard H. Pedrick Scholar
• Center for Law, Science & Innovation Scholarship, 2010, 2011
• Associate Editor, Jurimetrics Law Journal, Arizona State University
• ASU President’s Scholarship for Outstanding Academic Achievement 2005
• National Honor Society Scholarship, 2005
United States District Court for the District of Arizona
United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
Professional and Civic Activities
• State Bar of Arizona
• Arizona Women Lawyers Association
• Arizona Women’s Leadership Forum
• TGen Ambassador
Publications and Presentations
• Co-authored: “Congress, Court and Commerce: Upholding the Individual Mandate to Protect the Public’s Health, Journal of Law, Medicine Ethics, 39 J.L. Med. Ethics 394 (Fall 2011)
• “What’s an Attorney-Client Relationship” AZ Business Magazine, March 2017 & Attorney at Law Magazine, November 2017
• “Joint Employment–Your Companies Might Not Be Separate in the Eyes of the Law” AZ Business Magazine (online), October 2017
• “How to Prevent a FMLA Interference Claim in Employee Termination” AZ Business Magazine (online), October 2017
• “3 Ways to Prevent a Weinstein Scandal” AZ Business Magazine, November 2017
• “Non-Compete Agreements – Enforceable or Not?” AZ Big Media (online), March 2018
• “8 Steps to Avoid a Pregnancy Discrimination Lawsuit” AZ Big Media (online), May 2018
• “Federal Arbitration Act – The Pros and Cons of The Supreme Court’s 2018 Decision” AZ Big Media (online), July 2018
• “Score a Home Run for Your Women-Owned Small Business” AZ Business Magazine, July/August 2018
• “Are you Unintentionally Discriminating Against Pregnant Employees?” In Business Magazine, December 2018